Staying Fit



I am in no way capable of telling anyone how to stay fit, I can only tell you from my personal experiences as a mother.  After giving birth, I tried a few different things to try and stay fit/active and to lose those unwanted pounds.  Below is a list of the things that worked for me:
  1. Weight Watchers - WW was a great way for me to be accountable for everything that I put in my mouth.  Weight loss is 80% of what you eat and 20% of exercise.  With that being said, it is very important to watch what you eat.  WW was a great accountability tool for me because it allowed me to document what I ate on a daily basis.  WW is also helpful for nursing mothers because nursing mothers need to take in a few extra calories than those who are not nursing to account for the calories being lost during breast feeding.  For the moms on the go, you can also download the free Weight Watchers mobile app and track your points on the go.  http://www.weightwatchers.com
  2. My Fitness Pal - a FREE calorie counter, diet and exercise journal that allows you to be accountable for what you take in.  It's really simple, just sign up...enter in your weight, height, how many pounds you would like to lose per week and based on your response a daily calorie intake will be chosen for you.  The good thing about this app is you also gain calories back from working out so you don't feel like those calories are gone to waste.  You can also change your calorie intake if you later decide to manage your weight instead of losing.  You can also download the free MyFitnessPal app to your mobile device and track your calories on the go. If you're on MyFitnessPal befriend me so we can hold each other accountable my username is Mzplayr.  http://www.myfitnesspal.com 
  3. Recreational Sport - What better way to stay fit and active than to workout with other moms.  I joined a kickball team with other mothers and we hold each other accountable.  Kickball is an awesome sport that works out every muscle in your body.  Its a great sport because you don't realize how much you work out until the next day when your body is sore from all the movement.  If kickball is not your thing, try any other recreational sport that you enjoy.  Its a great way to get your exercise in.
  4. Workout DVD - I currently do not have a gym membership.  Two reasons why I prefer not to purchase a membership 1. to save money 2. I prefer to workout outside (weather permitting).  When the weather does not permit, I like to use Workout DVD's.  Some DVD's that have worked for me are Insanity and P90X, but I must admit I am not a huge fan of DVDs because I tend to get distracted easily.  I just ordered Black Girls Work Out Too and am looking forward to embarking on this journey.  I will update you on how this workout DVD works for me.
  5. Kinect Games - XBox 360 Kinect is a great way to stay active with your family.  I purchased the Biggest Loser Game for Kinect and I feel like I'm right at the biggest loser ranch.  Playing the basic games: bowling, tennis, basketball, etc are great ways to get the whole family involved and work on weight loss.
One thing I haven't done that I would love to do is sign up for a half marathon.  I am not a runner, but I have had friends who are also not runners complete the half marathon and they've mentioned how exhilarating it is to complete a half marathon.  If you can do the marathon, by all means go for it, but I'll start small and set my goals on completing the half marathon.  

Mommy Hot Spot

Comments

Popular Posts